We are proud to announce that we are, once again, finalists in the Rolls Royce Science Prize 2018/2019!
The Rolls-Royce Science Prize was created to recognise and reward excellence in science teaching across the full spectrum of teaching contexts, from special educational needs to high ability pupils. From the thousands of applicants, from across the UK, our project has been chosen as one of the six primary and secondary school projects that will run from September 2018 to June 2019.
The project is titled ‘Engineering a New Way of Thinking’, and aims to address the ongoing issue of the low number of girls at Christ the King choosing to study physics, maths, technology and/or engineering post-GCSE and beyond. Research carried out last year suggests that the overriding perception, from students at Christ the King (and indeed quite likely across the general population), is that careers based in physics, technology, engineering and maths are predominantly suitable for men only. This is further demonstrated by the fact that the male gender dominates both the roles in these careers and the uptake of these subjects at post-GCSE perpetuates this idea. The team implementing the project firmly believe that the key to improving the number of girls studying and, subsequently, leaving Christ the King to pursue careers in these subjects is to change the mindset of all our students towards women in industry – for both male and female.
During the next 10 months there will be many activities and opportunities held, including:
- A club in which girls can freely explore their interest in physics, technology, engineering and maths, outside the classroom environment, and where they can engage in talks, projects and activities that they may not ordinarily feel able to in a mixed-gender setting.
- Talks from people studying and working in STEM subjects, from A level through to career level.
- STEM Career events aimed at our girls and boys.
- Visits and trips, such as the Big Bang Fair at the NEC.
- A STEM project competition.
We will be providing monthly updates of our progress on the school website, and would love you to follow our project throughout the year. For further details please contact EChambers@christtheking.notts.sch.uk.