How it will work
Every six weeks we will issue your child a Knowledge Organiser. This contains all the knowledge that your child will be learning in class and will be referred to throughout. By equipping our students with the core knowledge from each subject, it allows them the opportunity to access more complex examination questions and skill based questions.
- We will be asking your child to spend 1 hour, 5 days a week revising 3 subjects as directed by their homework timetable, or completing MyMaths work.
- Teachers may direct students to learn certain parts of their knowledge organiser each week, they will inform you and your child of this via their Homework Planner in the normal way.
- Retrieval practice will take place during lessons to allow teachers and students to reflect on how well core knowledge has been learnt. Teaching will be adjusted based on the outcomes of the retrieval practice.
How will I access the Knowledge Organiser?
There are two ways in which parents and students can access their knowledge organisers. Firstly, each student will be given a knowledge organiser folder. These will be added to every half term by all subjects. Additionally all knowledge organisers along with support material will be placed on our website, ensuring that parents and students can always access the resources.
How will they be used for home learning?
Your child will be given an A4 exercise book in which they should do the revision for all subjects in. A third of a page for each subject should be completed and they can revise using the suggested techniques that they have been shown in class and by using the ‘Knowledge Organiser Guide’ located at the front of their Knowledge Organiser. These guides will be available for parents to view via the knowledge organiser section on our website. Knowledge organisers and workbooks will be used in lessons each day, it is vital that students bring them as part of their required equipment for school.
The revision techniques each student will be introduced to are:
- Cover-Write-Check – Click for Video
- Mind Map – Click for Video
- Revision Clocks – Click for Video
- Flash Cards
How you the parent can help:
- Print off and pin up their learning timetable
- Encourage and reward them sitting for one hour each night doing their revision
- Test them along the way, ask them questions (all answers will be included in the knowledge organisers)
- Make sure they bring their workbook and folder to school each day
- See our guide at the front of the booklets which show different techniques for revising, encourage your child to try out different ones