We are introducing a new learning initiative in which all students in year 7 and 8 will be provided with Knowledge Organisers. At Christ the King we believe these will have a positive impact on your child’s achievement and approach to revision, providing them with the best opportunity to be successful during assessments and examinations. We have created a bank of resources, known as Knowledge Organisers, to be used both at home and in lesson. National research demonstrates knowledge organisers have a significant impact on the progress made by all students, no matter what their ability. As a parent it will also provide you with the opportunity to support your child at home, using a consistent approach that will be implemented across all subject areas.
What are knowledge organisers?
A knowledge organiser is a set of key facts or information that pupils need to know and be able to recall in order to master a unit or topic. Typically, an organiser fits onto one page of A4, which helps students to visualise the layout of the page, which in turn helps them to memorise the information better.
How it will work:
Every six weeks we will issue your child a Knowledge Organiser. This contains all the knowledge that your child will be learning in class and will be referred to throughout. By equipping our students with the core knowledge from each subject, it allows them the opportunity to access more complex examination questions and skill based questions.
- We will be asking your child to spend 1 hour, 5 days a week revising 2 of the subjects as directed by their homework timetable, or completing MyMaths work.
- Teachers may direct students to learn certain parts of their knowledge organiser each week, they will inform you and your child of this via Microsoft Teams in the normal way.
- Retrieval practice will take place during lessons to allow teachers and students to reflect on how well core knowledge has been learnt. Teaching will be adjusted based on the outcomes of the retrieval practice.
How will I access the Knowledge Organiser?
There are two ways in which parents and students can access their knowledge organisers. Firstly, each student will be given a knowledge organiser folder. These will be added to every half term by all subjects. Additionally all knowledge organisers along with support material will be placed on our website, ensuring that parents and students can always access the resources.
How will they be used for home learning?
Your child will be given an A4 exercise book in which they should do the revision for all subjects in. Half a page for each subject should be completed and they can revise using the suggested techniques that they have been shown in class and by using the ‘Knowledge Organiser Guide’ located at the front of their Knowledge Organiser. These guides will be available for parents to view via the knowledge organiser section on our website. Knowledge organisers and workbooks will be used in lessons each day, it is vital that students bring them as part of their required equipment for school.
The revision techniques each student will be introduced to are:
- Cover-Write-Check – Click for Video
- Mind Map – Click for Video
- Revision Clocks – Click for Video
- Flash Cards
How you the parent can help:
- Print off and pin up their learning timetable
- Encourage and reward them sitting for one hour each night doing their revision
- Test them along the way, ask them questions (all answers will be included in the knowledge organisers)
- Make sure they bring their workbook and folder to school each day
- See our guide at the front of the booklets which show different techniques for revising, encourage your child to try out different ones